Student Services


Career and Technical Education Enrollment Procedures
1. Complete online registration at
2. Unless exempt, pay test fee, register, and complete the Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE).
3. Provide two documents that prove Florida Residency for tuition purposes (An acceptable documentation list is listed below).
4. Provide copies of a valid Driver's License and/or State issued photo ID and Social Security Card.
5. Complete the FAFSA application at and verify with the Financial Aid Office that all Financial Aid requirements have been met (if applicable).
6. Finalize all required documentation with the Student Services Office. Discuss TABE results and class schedule.
7. Pay program costs.

Adult Basic Education Enrollment Procedures
1. Complete online registration at
2. Provide a valid copy of Driver’s License and/or State Issued photo ID and Social Security Card.
3. Finalize all required documentation at Student Services office.
4. Pay tuition.


Preparing for the TABE 

Ability to Benefit 
Unless exempt, all students of Bradford-Union Technical Center that are enrolled in a course of 450 hours or longer must take the Test for Adult Basic Education (TABE) as required by Florida Statute 1004.91 and associated State Administrative Rules. Every student admitted to a career and technical education program must demonstrate that they have the ability to benefit from the instruction by performance on the TABE test. A complete listing of TABE scores and requirements is provided below. 

Students may be exempt from the TABE requirement if:
 They have a college degree at the Associate in Applied Science (AAS) level or higher
 They are an active member of any branch of the United States Armed Services
 enrolled in an apprenticeship program that is registered with the Department of Education in accordance with Chapter 446
 They have passed a state or national industry certification or licensure examination that is identified in State Board of Education rules and is aligned to the career education program in which they are enrolled
 They entered ninth grade in a Florida Public School in the 2003-2004 school year, or any year thereafter, and earned a Florida standard high school diploma

Students with a documented, qualifying disability may also be exempt from the TABE test requirements for program completion. All exemptions require documentation, diplomas, or transcripts, as applicable.

All students not meeting the above criteria as a demonstration of the ability to benefit from the instruction will be enrolled in the Applied Academics for Adult Education course. Applied Academic instruction provides remediation to ensure the student will have the opportunity to meet the description of Ability to Benefit. Students must begin remediation classes prior to or at the time of enrollment in a Career Technical Education class and make acceptable progress as determined by BUTC. Students should meet minimum TABE requirements by the time they have completed 50% of their program. Students who do not meet state mandated TABE scores may not receive a certificate of completion.

Applicants transferring TABE scores from other testing centers must have an official score report sent to Student Services prior to enrollment. Unofficial score reports will not be accepted.

TABE scores expire after two years (except LPN, one year) and must be valid at the time of enrollment. TABE scores that expire during continuous enrollment remain valid until the end of such enrollment. Under continuous enrollment, students must be enrolled at least 50% of one semester per school year and may miss no more than one consecutive semester. Continuous enrollment applies to attendance in a single program.

10 10 10
10 10 10
9 9 9
9 10 9
9 9 9
9 10 9
9 8 8
9 9 9
11 11 11


Residency information applies to all CTE and Adult General Education students. In order to qualify for Florida resident tuition, legal residence must be dated, issued, or filed 12 months before entering the first day of any program. All documents provided are subject to verification.

If a student (or student’s parent or legal guardian in the case of a dependent student) has lived in Florida for 12 consecutive months or more before the first day of classes of the term for which residency status is sought, he or she may qualify for Florida Residency for tuition purposes. This means that the State of Florida will pay a portion of the student’s fees. Non-residents will be required to pay the full cost of instruction, or out-of-state fees.

Upon application to Bradford-Union Technical Center each prospective student who is claiming Florida residency shall provide clear and convincing evidence that establishes that he or she, or if a dependent, the student’s parent or legal guardian, has been a Florida resident for the preceding twelve consecutive months. No single piece of documentation shall be conclusive according to State Board of Education Rule 6A-10.014; therefore, Bradford-Union Technical Center will ask for two pieces of documentation.

At least two of the following documents must be submitted with dates that evidence a 12-month qualifying period.

First Tier: (at least one of the two documents submitted must be from this list)

  • A Florida Voter's Registration Card
  • A Florida Driver's License
  • A State of Florida Identification Card
  • A Florida Vehicle Registration
  • Proof of a permanent home in Florida which is occupied as a primary residence by the individual or by the individual's parent if the individual is a dependent child
  • Proof of a homestead exemption in Florida
  • Transcripts from a Florida high school for multiple years (2 or more years) if the Florida high school diploma or GED was earned within the last 12 months
  • Proof of permanent full-time employment in Florida for at least 30 hours per week for a consecutive 12-month period

Second Tier: (may be used in conjunction with one document from First Tier)

  • A Declaration of Domicile in Florida
  • A Florida professional or occupational license
  • Florida Incorporation
  • A document evidencing family ties in Florida
  • Proof of membership in Florida-based charitable or professional organization
  • Any other documentation that supports the student's request for resident status, including, but not limited to, utility bills and proof of 12 consecutive months of payments; a lease agreement and proof of 23 consecutive months of payments; or an official state, federal, or court document evidencing legal ties to Florida.

Unacceptable forms of identification include Social Security Cards, Hunting/Fishing Licenses, Library Cards, Shopping club/rental cards, Birth Certificates, Cell Phone Bill, and Passports.

Transfer of Students from Out of School

Upon receipt of a transcript from an accredited institution, occupational completion points may be applied to the course/program of enrollment if comparable. Competence checks not included in an occupational completion point are also available for previously learned knowledge and skills.

Transfer of Students within the School

Students may drop a class and enroll in any other class or program on a space available basis. Competencies earned prior to the withdrawal would be used to determine if the student had reached an occupational completion point or literacy completion point prior to the withdrawal. The competencies may also be transferred to the new course/program if appropriate. The attendance record will transfer to the new course/program

High School Student Enrollment

Bradford and Union County High School students in grades 9, 10, 11, and 12 may attend the Bradford-Union Technical Center and earn elective credits. Tuition, fees, and books are free. Some courses require equipment and/or uniform costs. Certain programs require a minimum of two periods per day. Contact your school counselor or a Student Services representative for additional information on courses available to high school students.


Pell Grants

The Bradford-Union Technical Center offers only one type of federally funded financial aid, the Pell grant. Pell grants are awards to help students pay for their education after high school. For many students, these grants provide a "foundation" of financial aid to which aid from other sources may be added. Unlike loans, grants do not have to be paid back.

To apply for the Pell grant, you can go online at, The federal school number to enter for Bradford-Union Technical Center is 033823. Other financial aid options may be available for those that may not qualify for PELL.

For more information or assistance with the application process, contact the Financial Aid Coordinator at 904-966-6765.

Eligibility for Receiving Financial Aid

 Students must have a standard high school diploma or GED.
 The student must be enrolled at BUTC as a certificate seeking student in an eligible program of study to receive a financial aid award.
 Students can only receive funding from one school at a time.
 Students in default on a federal student loan are ineligible for federal and state financial aid.
 Eligibility for federal aid depends upon meeting standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).
 Enrolled in a program of 600 hours or more.

Conditions for Receiving Financial Aid

1. Financial Aid funds are disbursed based upon payment periods. Aid may be credited to a student’s account at the school and the balance of the award, after the account is cleared, will be disbursed to the student.
2. Any award is contingent upon actual receipt of funds from the federal and/or state government by Bradford – Union Technical Center.
3. To continue receiving aid the student must remain enrolled in an eligible program and must earn Satisfactory Academic Progress.
4. Students are responsible for reporting to the Financial Aid office any other scholarships or financial assistance not reported previously. Students are responsible for reporting scholarships and other financial assistance to their sponsoring agencies.
5. Students are responsible for notifying the Financial Aid office immediately of any changes in name, address, or telephone number.
6. Students are responsible for notifying the Student Services office of changes in enrollment status including change of program, leave of absence, and completion or withdrawal dates. These changes may affect your financial aid award.
7. Students may be responsible for payment when repeating a program or any portion of a program. Student must verify their status with the Financial Aid office.
8. Upon withdrawal, a student’s financial aid will be recalculated based upon the Return to Title IV (R2T4) calculation. If it is determined the students has completed 60% or less then the scheduled hours for the payment period, he/she will be responsible for an overpayment. An overpayment of a financial aid award means that the payment exceeds the amount you are eligible to receive.
9. Students are responsible for any financial aid overpayment. Overpayment may occur as a result of a change of enrollment status. Until complete repayment of the over award is made, a hold will be placed on the student records and the student will not be able to register for any program. A student overpayment of federal grant funds will be reported in the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS)
10. Financial Aid awards are not renewed automatically. Students must re-apply each year. Applications become available at on January 1 of each year.

Conditions are subject to change in compliance with new federal and state regulations.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

The Federal Pell Grant requires all students to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress AT ALL TIMES to continue eligibility. Federal Pell regulations require both Quantitative and Qualitative measures of progress. This means satisfactory progress of program hours and weeks, as well as maintaining a cumulative passing grade.

Bradford-Union Technical Center (BUTC) requires students to maintain a “C” average or better (2.0) for Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). The period for attendance, grades and progress is from the beginning to the end of the program. BUTC checks SAP several times throughout the enrollment period.

BUTC has the right to delay Pell disbursements if a student is not meeting SAP. Program instructors submit Monthly Attendance at the end of each month verifying attendance. Progress will be checked each payment period. Students with excessive absences resulting in the inability to complete their designated program within 150% of program hours will be withdrawn.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy

BUTC In-House Scholarship

This scholarship is awarded through an application through Bradford- Union Technical Center Financial Aid Office. Scholarships are limited to funds available and you must first submit a FAFSA application to qualify for the scholarship. Awards are based on TABE scores, financial situations, and your FAFSA application.

Florida State Assistance Grant (FSAG)

The FSAG grant is a state funded grant and is utilized for fees, books, and supplies. The FSAG grant is based on need and availability of funds. All students must apply for the Federal Pell Grant, is a Florida resident and enrolled at a full time status to be eligible to receive the FSAG grant. Eligible students will be offered the FSAG application based on the outcome of verification and award process.

Bright Futures 

Bradford-Union Technical Center accepts the following Bright Futures Scholarships: Florida Academic Top Scholars, Florida Medallion Scholars, and Gold Seal Vocational Scholars. Please see the Financial Aid Office for additional information. Students should apply during the last year of high school.

Florida Prepaid 

Florida Prepaid can be used at Bradford-Union Technical Center. There are other scholarships accepted at BUTC with individual guidelines. It is the student’s responsibility to secure these scholarships and provide the necessary documentation to BUTC’s Bookkeeper.


Bradford-Union Technical Center is approved for Veterans training. Any Veteran or other eligible student who receives benefits under Chapter 30, 32, 33 (Post 911) or Chapter 35 may use these benefits at BUTC. Questions regarding eligibility should be directed to the Veteran's Approval Agency of Florida, at 1-(888) 442-4551, or the GI Bill website at or you may contact the school Certifying V.A. Official/Financial Aid Coordinator at 904-966-6765.

Veterans who receive educational benefits for attending classes at BUTC are expected to maintain attendance and demonstrate progress.

Attendance: Veterans who receive educational benefits must be enrolled 22 or more hours per week, so they must attend the full 6 hour block schedule each day, Monday through Friday.

When a veteran student accumulates three (3) absences during a calendar month, the Veteran's Administration will be notified and a request made that the student's educational benefits be terminated. The student may continue in school without receiving benefits and may request to be recertified after 20 days have elapsed.

Progress: An evaluation will be made to determine if the veteran has had prior training which could apply towards the program in which he/she is enrolled. If it is determined that "prior" credit can be allowed, the training time will be reduced accordingly and the student and the VA will be notified.

Each veteran student is expected to maintain an average of "C" or higher and complete student performance skills at a rate that will allow him/her to complete the program within the number of hours of training that has been approved by the state approving agency. Records indicating grades and hours of training will be kept in the student's VA file and updated each semester.

If the student fails to maintain an average grade of "C" or better, he/she will be placed on probation for one grading period. If the student fails to bring up the grade to at least a "C" average during the probationary period, the VA will be notified and a request made to terminate his/her educational benefits. Students who have been dismissed for unsatisfactory progress may request readmission after another grading period has elapsed. If there is reasonable likelihood that the student has the capability to maintain satisfactory progress, a decision will be made to readmit the student in class and recertify him/her to the VA.

Veterans should also understand that the VPI lab has also been approved for 300 hours of training in addition to the hours approved for their program. The VPI lab provides remediation in basic math, reading, and language skills.

Types of Financial Aid

Conditions for Receiving Financial Aid

2014 - 2015 FAFSA Application Instructions


How do drug related convictions affect my Financial Aid?

Tuition Calculator
Click here to use our new net price calculator. This will calculate tuition costs related to your unique situation.